Board of Directors Meeting
March 28, 2020 via Zoom
Attendees: Cindy McGinnis, Jennifer Johnson, Bridget Nelson, Sarah Durrance, Kevin Smith, Sandy Quinn, Brittany Johnson, Amanda Giombi-Lorenz, Barb Brunner, Gail Johnson, Katie Huffman, Barb Schmidt
- Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by President Sarah Durrance at 4:05p.m.
- Opening Remarks: Sarah remarked on how unexpected this year has been. As a result, there will be many questions we are unable to answer at this point, such as the status of the May show. Sarah encouraged the board to be proactive instead of reactive if possible, even though we don’t know what the future holds.
- Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the previous meeting held January 25, 2020 were shared in advance. Sandy Quinn made a motion to approve the minutes. The motion was seconded by Cindy McGinnis. Motion carried.
- Financial Report: Even though the future is unsure, the club’s current financial status is positive.
- The total cost of awards for 2019 was $3,537.47, which was under the budget of $4,000.
- The banquet was a success. Profits were made from the dinner ($333.69), the silent auction ($625.00), and table decorations ($153.00). Bowl-A-Vard gave us a refund for the room we were unable to use for the meeting.
- The WPHC checking account currently stands at $10,064.50. The youth account stands at $6,767.41.
- Old Business
- Oshkosh POR:The board discussed whether to offer Jackpot and/or Limited Classes this year. The jackpot classes went over better than the limited classes last year, as the limited classes were too restrictive. The board elected to offer three jackpot classes: showmanship, hunter under saddle, and western pleasure. Each class will have an entry fee of $25 with 100% payback. A motion to add these classes was made by Bridget Nelson. The motion was seconded by Kevin Smith. The motion carried.
- Select Showmanship: The board decided not to offer a select showmanship class this year. Amateur showmanship will be offered. A motion to approve this decision was made by Cindy McGinnis and was seconded by Barb Schmidt. The motion carried.
- New member incentive: The club still plans to offer a free stall at any Jefferson show with new membership (not being a member of WPHC in the last 3 years.) Sarah thanked Katie for her marketing efforts to keep people interested in the shows despite our other challenges.
- Stalls: We are currently still limited to 95 stalls at Oshkosh, but we will continue to work on getting more stalls.
- July Jefferson Show: The board elected to offer open classes only on Saturday, July 4th since we don’t know how many to expect, some may show right out of their trailers, and we don’t want to make Sunday too long of a day for paint riders. There will be one judge per class to keep entry fees down; judges will rotate through the classes. Open class participants can cross-enter W/T and canter classes. The proposed showbill was shared with the board members.
- Committee Reports
- Judges: Sarah stated that all judges have been hired. None of the judges are flying in for the May/July shows so it won’t be as difficult to cancel if needed. Sarah will secure patterns for shows and will confirm hotel rooms. Sarah, Brittany, and Kevin will work together to establish the trail course to ensure we have the right equipment.
- Open show: Katie stated that the showbill and entry form are posted on the website.
- Show managers: Kevin has feelers out for ringmasters and scribes; commitments are on hold until the show schedule is finalized.
Kevin received positive feedback on meals at shows in 2019. Pizza was a successful option. The board elected to wait to establish a budget for meals until more is known about how many shows we will be having. Fewer shows may mean bigger numbers at the shows we do have.
Other show details: Greta will announce again, and Gail Johnson will be the gate attendant. Julie Aldrich will take stalls/shavings reservations for the Jefferson shows. Julie Marweg can tag stalls for us in Oshkosh; Cindy will see which Julie will be able to take stall reservations for Oshkosh. Kevin and Brittany will verify camping permits.
The club will plan to have general meetings again on Friday or Saturday evening of shows.
- Show committee: Cindy stated that all show approvals are in except Oshkosh. We will be using the using electronic scribe system again.
We still don’t know the status of the Zone show. The facility where it is to be held cancelled all shows until April 12th. They will revisit the possibility of the show at that time.
- Banquet: No committee report for the banquet at this time since we’re up in the air for everything.
- MN POR: Sarah talked to Alicia today for about 45 minutes. Further discussion is tabled until we know what’s going on, as Minnesota may have different health restrictions than Wisconsin. Alicia and Sarah feel they can put the show together quickly.
- Open Show: Amanda shared that everything has been taken care of. We will be doing cups and boxes again; order of these items is on hold due to the current situation. Amanda will determine the latest date we can place an order for items.
- Circuit Awards: Dependent on whether we can have the May show.
- Year End Awards: Pending; we will have to see how things play out.
- World’s Finest Chocolates: Sarah and Bridget did a test order of World’s Finest Chocolates. The ordered ten cases at just under $400. They already broke even on candy sales, and the net profit will be $220.20 when all cases are sold.
- Sponsorships: Sponsorships are going to be challenging due to the state of the economy. Pricing for sponsorships is yet to be determined; however, Bridget has developed a plan for different tiers of sponsorship. Website sponsorships have been limited; this may be because website traffic is limited. The club may consider using Facebook as an outreach and advertising option for sponsors.
- Other Business: None
- Adjournment: A motion was made by Brittany Johnson to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Sandy. The motion carried, and the meeting was adjourned at 5:03 p.m.